Community and Social Action
At Ansche Chesed, being part of a community means helping our neighbors, sustaining each other during difficult times, celebrating together during joyous ones, and spending time together in study, in prayer and in friendship.
Our community offers many opportunities to live up to its name, Ansche Chesed, people of kindness. You can volunteer at our men’s shelter, open 365 days a year; participate in our social action activities and events; or join one of the volunteer groups that provide comfort and practical support to members who are ill or in mourning.
We are also here to help you celebrate simchahs (joyous occasions) like bar/bat mitzvahs, brises, baby namings and weddings, and to provide spiritual and practical support during difficult times.
Finally, we help our community strengthen its bonds by gathering as one or in smaller, like-minded groups at:
- Shabbat community dinners and study sessions
- Holiday festivities
- Family and kids’ events
- Activities for teens
- Our Lunch and Learn series of midday talks and outings
- Performances by the Shirei Chesed Community Chorus
- Our popular Scribblers on the Roof series of summertime author readings
- Our yearlong program of classes, scholar-in-residence programs and other learning opportunities